Monday, September 28, 2009

Fin


THE END



A year ago last Saturday I started this blog, and the next day we went away for the weekend, and I had to post two photos Sunday night. Not the best start, but somehow I’ve managed to post a year’s breakfasts, mostly in California, but some in Florida and Illinois, France, England, Switzerland, Austria, Germany.

When I started this I had just ended probate on my mother’s estate, and I had a lot of lovely old linen, from her mother and her mother’s mother. I have napkins from my grandma’s trousseau, and placemats hand edged by her mother for her. My mother chose to preserve these in boxes, but I thought I would use them, because I really don’t see the boys being excited at the prospect of inheriting them.

Also, Irene had been urging me to start a blog. She writes daily of her life in the Netherlands. Long ago we raised children together and had what I thought was a lot of fun, but her life took several twists and now we communicate mostly by internet. She has been my sole follower and of late she's quit commenting, because, after all, these breakfasts are pretty much the same, day after day.

Along the way I added the books I'd been reading, and I wish I'd done that from the start, because I read a lot in the morning. Breakfasts are quiet in this house, both of us reading and easing into the day.

I won't say it's been fun, but it's been interesting.

1 comment:

Irene said...

Well, when I asked you to start a blog, I had something else in mind than posting pictures of your breakfast. I wanted words, not photos, although it has been fun, though I ran out of comments after a while. However, you are a closed book about your life, so it will remain a mystery and I will be none the wiser, which is strange when you consider that you used to be my best friend. Alas, so your breakfast blog ends. Maybe now you will allow yourself to cheat a little and eat the yolks too.

Hugs,
Irene